Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel
You can try one of the most popular Cracker Barrel restaurant recipes right in your own home!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing says comfort food like a dish from Cracker Barrel and this Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel is just that. The hearty chicken casserole recipe is made with cream of chicken soup, chunks of tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and homemade cornbread. In just over an hour, you can be enjoying your very own Cracker Barrel recipe.
The creamy chicken filling takes just a few minutes to make on the stove top and is very similar to a classic chicken pot pie filling. The freshly-made cornbread is sprinkled right over the filling and creates a crunchy crust with a slightly sweet taste. This is the perfect recipe to cook for a family dinner or even a dinner party because it is easy to make, super satisfying, and will feed a large crowd. Even kids will love the taste of this homemade Cracker Barrel recipe. Serve it up tonight with a simple salad or a side of your favorite steamed vegetables.
For a different taste, try substituting Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Potato Soup. It will add a whole new dimension of flavor!
- For the Cornbread:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- For the Chicken Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in bite-sized pieces
If you like this recipe, make sure you try our other Cracker Barrel favorite: Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Browns Casserole
Mix all the ingredients for the cornbread except the melted butter together in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden and done. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
When the cornbread is cool, crumble all the cornbread and place 3 cups of the cornbread crumbs in a mixing bowl.
Add the 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside.
In medium-sized saucepan on medium-low heat, heat the butter and saute the chopped onions and celery until they are transparent, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper. Stir until well blended and the soup is dissolved completely.
Add the cooked chicken; stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Place the chicken filling in a buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or individual casserole dishes (about four).
Sprinkle the cornbread crumb topping on top of the chicken mixture; do not stir into the chicken filling. It should form a crust over the filling.
Place the baking dish in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 - 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow.
Serve while hot.
You'll want to cook these easy main dish recipes with your family and pass on special Sunday traditions from generation to generation! If you love filling food that makes everyone happy, you'll love this collection:
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
Cheesecake Factory Bang Bang Chicken Copycat Recipe
Copycat Cheesecake Factory Cashew Chicken
Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken Bellagio
Cheesecake Factory Pretzel Crusted Chicken Copycat
Chili’s Chicken Crispers Copycat
Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Salad
Chicken Kitchen Mexican Chop Chop Copycat
30 Minute Chicken and Dumplings
KFC Fried Chicken Copycat
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Joseph Joseph M-Cuisine Popcorn Maker
- Breakfast Egg Boat with Ciabatta Bread
- Chicken Saag
- Cheese Pie Bars with Filo Pastry
- Link Love: 6 Copycat Smoothie King Recipes
- Rachael Ray Porcelain Enamel II Nonstick 11" Stir Fry Pan
- Sweet And Sour Sauce
- Anolon Advanced Tri-Ply Twin French Skillet Set
- Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce
- Easy Chicken Pad Thai
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat