8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Copycat Chipotle Carnitas Recipe
Save time and money by making this classic restaurant style carnitas the way they do at Chipotle!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
It is time to break out the slow cooker for Chipotle's Pork Carnitas Copycat recipe and have dinner ready when you get home. This Chipotle carnitas recipe comes out insanely tender and juicy. You can serve this slow cooker carnitas recipe over Mexican rice, in a taco, or even in a fresh salad.
Chipotle recipes like this are absurdly easy to make, but will taste like you slaved away all day to prepare this fiesta in your mouth. Try it out tonight for a pork recipe your family will love! This is one copycat Chipotle recipe you'll want to save. Recreate your favorite burrito bowls from scratch from the comfort of your own home!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 5- or 6-pound pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo (see note)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
If you love this recipe from Chipotle, then you'll love this even easier version from our test kitchen: Restaurant-Style Sweet Pork Carnitas
In a large deep skillet, heat oil and brown the pork on all sides until golden brown. Place pork into the slow cooker, cutting into two or three large pieces if necessary to fit in one layer on the bottom of the insert.
Combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour over the pork. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove pork from the cooker and shred or chop into bit-size pieces. Chill. Remove the bay leaves and pour juices into a large bowl, cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
Skim most of the solidified fat from the juices and pulse briefly in a blender or food processor - some small chunks should remain. Toss the pork with about 1 cup of the juices and reheat. Warm and serve the remaining sauce separately.
Carnitas may be made into burritos or tacos, or used in many other ways.
To serve as burritos, add accompaniments of sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, finely sliced lettuce or cabbage, lime wedges and sour cream.
Chipotle chiles in Adobo are available in small cans in the foreign food section of most grocery stores or in Latinx markets. When using, include some of the thick sauce and chop the chiles into 3 or 4 pieces. Store unused chiles and sauce in a ziptop bag in the freezer for later use. If unavailable, you may use crushed pepper flakes or ground chipotle to flavor the carnitas.
The Founding of Chipotle Mexican Grill
The popular Mexican Chipotle fast food chain was founded by Steve Ells in 1993 in Denver Colorado. Ells had previously studied at the Culinary Institute of America in New York and took his experiences in the Mexican food industry in San Francisco with him to Colorado. Only one month after opening, Ells was already selling over 1,000 burritos a day. Ells, initially, was planning on opening a fine-dining restaurant with the money he’d saved up and raised from the small burrito joint, but after seeing the success of his new Mexican grill, he focused his energies and money on this new venture instead. McDonald’s even made a small investment in the company but later pulled out in the hopes of focusing on its own chain. Chipotle now has over 2,000 locations nationally and internationally in Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and France. The chain has become quite a success considering its humble origins.
Top it off!
Complete your Chipotle burrito with a little homemade pico de gallo!
For more amazing copycat Chipotle recipes, check out these
What do you order at Chipotle?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextCafe Rio Copycat Sweet Pork
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Jan 17, 2017
I love Chipotle, so I can't wait to try these at home. They look so good!
May 13, 2016
I get this at Chipotle all the time! Can't wait to make it at home.
Sep 24, 2015
This is a great alternative to beef tacos. Yum!
Sep 24, 2015
Usually I'm all about beef tacos, but these were filling and so tasty.
Sep 24, 2015
Yum! I won't be needing Chipotle runs anymore! This recipe was perfect!
Sep 24, 2015
I'm not generally a carnitas fan, but this recipe was great. I thoroughly enjoyed my carnitas tacos.
Sep 24, 2015
I'm not a pork person, but I LOVE these carnitas. I will definitely be making these regularly.
Sep 24, 2015
This recipe is DELICIOUS. And I could definitely make it at home, no problem.
Jul 27, 2015
Everyone loves Chipolte. Can't wait to try out this recipe!
Jul 14, 2015
Just recently branched out from my usual Chipotle order, tried the carnitas, and fell in love! I can't wait to try this homemade version in my crockpot )
Jul 14, 2015
Chipotle is awesome, but sooo expensive! I'd love to make a batch of this to have for lunches all week.
Jul 01, 2015
Chipotle=bae. Where I go to school the closest one is 45 minutes away. Now I can make it all the time!
Jun 26, 2015
I love Chipotle's pork carnitas, but they are so expensive. So glad this recipe allows me to make them at home for cheaper.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup
This Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup recipe is unlike any other soup you have tried before. The famous Outback recipe is a… Continue reading: "Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup"
- Cafe Rio Copycat Sweet Pork
- Sweet and Spicy Chinese Slow Cooker Ribs
- Copycat Luby's Fried Cabbage
- Chipotle's Pork Carnitas Copycat
- Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Take Out Pork Fried Rice
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Enchiladas Copycat Recipe
- Restaurant-Style Pork and Ramen Stir-Fry
- Homemade Tony Roma's BBQ Babyback Ribs
- Slow Cooker Al Pastor Copycat
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat