Homemade Bread in a Bag
Looking for the easiest homemade bread recipe around? We've got you covered!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Looking for a recipe for bread that does not require a machine or too much work? This Homemade Bread in a Bag recipe will make fresh loaves of bread with almost no effort. The quick homemade bread recipe is made with minimal kneading and is a great cooking project to do with children. After baking, the bread will have a light brown crust and soft, doughy inside. Learn how to make homemade bread while leaving your kitchen mess-free.
- 5 cups bread flour, plus 2 tablespoons for kneading (see note)
- 1 tablespoon RapidRise yeast (do not substitute regular yeast)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
Be sure to check out our collection of down-home dishes ranging from entrees to desserts with a little bit of everything in between: 40 Easy Recipes for a Southern Potluck
Place 2 cups of the flour into a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag and add the yeast, sugar, and salt. Shake the bag to mix the ingredients. Heat the water in the microwave for 1 minute, until it is 120 degrees F.
Add water and butter to the bag and seal the top. Knead the ingredients with your hands until the butter is well incorporated.
Add 2 cups more flour and again knead with your hands. Add the final 1 cup of flour and continue to knead until the dough comes together and no longer sticks to the sides of the bag.
Sprinkle a clean work surface with the cup of flour and turn dough out of the bag onto the surface.
Knead 15 -20 times until the dough is smooth.
Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap; let rest 10 minutes until it is puffy.
Remove the plastic and punch down the dough.
For bread loaves: Spray two 9 x 4 loaf pans with cooking spray. Divide the dough into two portions. Use your fingers or a rolling pin to roll the dough into a square about 9 x 9 inches. Roll very tightly into a log, pinching ends to seal and place into prepared pans, seam side down. Repeat with the second portion.
For dinner rolls: Spray two 8 x 8 bake pans with cooking spray. Divide the dough into two portions. Loosely roll each portion into a 2-inch wide log and divide that into 12 equal size pieces. Roll each piece in your palms to form a smooth ball, pinching edges underneath. Place in the pan and repeat with the remaining dough.
Cover dough with plastic wrap which has been sprayed with cooking spray and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake loaves for 30-35 minutes, rolls for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bread tests 200 degrees F with an internal read thermometer.
Tip out of the pans and let cool on cooling racks.
Bread flour is formulated to have a higher gluten content and will make better bread; all-purpose flour will work but bread flour is the better choice.
Rapid rise or instant yeast works quicker and is important to use in this method of mixing and rising.
Want another homemade bread recipe? Try this one: Homemade KFC Biscuits
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
If you love ice cream, you might now have considered using your favorite treat in a dessert bars recipe. Sometimes when a cake won't… Continue reading: "Rich Butterfinger Ice Cream Dessert Bars Recipe"
Imitation Chipotle Steak Burrito
Slow Cooker McRib Sandwiches
Copycat Culver’s Butter Burger Recipe
Copycat Arby's Beef and Cheddar
Whataburger Copycat Green Chile Double Cheeseburger
Copycat Pioneer Woman Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Copycat Five Guys Burger Recipe
Shrimp Po' Boys Knockoff
Our Version of Arby's Ham and Cheddar Melt
Copycat Italian Beef Sandwiches
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Shakshuka, Egg Breakfast with a Twist
- Warming Chicken Soup
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus and Tomato
- Duck Thai Curry with Fresh Coconut and Lemongrass Infused Rice
- Skinny Tuna Salad
- Egg and Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Breakfast
- Easy Rocky Road Cookies
- Bakery Chocolate and Berries Cookies
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat