Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
If you're a fan of Olive Garden restaurant recipes, you're sure to enjoy this Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup recipe. This creamy soup, packed with veggies like spinach and carrots is a warm treat that everyone will enjoy. Making this soup in your kitchen is much easier than you may think and only requires a few simple steps. This soup recipe is famous on the Olive Garden menu and now it can be famous in your home.
The creamy soup and filling gnocchi will satisfy any family member or dinner guest. This Italian-style chicken and dumpling soup is a recipe you will definitely want to keep. For the recipe, you can use premade chicken broth for a quick and delicious soup, but making your own adds another layer of rich flavor to this copycat Olive Garden soup
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked (see note)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups chicken broth (see note)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh spinach, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme, or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 1 pound packaged gnocchi
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for garnish
If you like this copycat Olive Garden soup recipe, try our Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Alfredo!
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and whisk to coat the vegetables and absorb the butter, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the half-and-half, stirring and simmering over low heat for 5 minutes until thickened. Gradually add the broth and whisk another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the diced chicken, carrots, spinach, thyme and parsley, then drop in the gnocchi and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 – 8 minutes until gnocchi are cooked and float to the top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into individual soup bowls and garnish with Parmesan and parsley if desired.
- This recipe was adapted from Food, Folks and Fun's Homemade Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup.
For more copycat Olive Garden soups, check out our list of 7 Olive Garden Soup Recipes.
To make your own chicken broth:
You may use 1 cup of cooked and diced chicken that you already have on hand and use canned broth, or you can begin by cooking a raw chicken breast with
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 stalk celery, chopped
¼ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Cook at a simmer for 20 minutes, then strain and measure the liquids – this will give you the 3 cups broth needed for the recipe as well as the cooked chicken needed. Dice the meat into small cubes and proceed with the recipe.
WHAT IS GNOCCHI?
Chicken and gnocchi soup is essentially the Italian version of chicken and dumplings. Gnocchi are Italian dumplings made from flour or potatoes and are soft and filling. Traditional gnocchi are rolled using a cheese grater or fork tines when being prepared. This creates grooves and crevasses that enable each dumpling to be covered in sauce, giving the entire dish flavor.
Gnocchi can be used in many different types of dishes. Usually it is served with a thick and creamy sauce, but gnocchi can also be tossed in a lighter, olive-oil-based dressing. Chicken and gnocchi soup is a very popular way to serve this Italian dumpling. Another popular gnocchi dish is gnocchi with brown butter and sage, which is simple but delicious. The recipe above uses pre-made gnocchi, but if you try making your own instead, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Use a potato ricer. Not many recipes require a fancy kitchen gadget, but we do recommend using a ricer for gnocchi to get the best results. If you use a masher or food processer, your dumplings won’t hold together.
- Don’t peel your potatoes before boiling. This will keep your potatoes from absorbing too much water. Keeping the water at a simmer rather than a rolling boil will also keep your potatoes from becoming too watery.
If you’ve ever made your own gnocchi before, share your tips with us in the comments below!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Longhorn Steakhouse Mushroom Truffle Bisque Copycat
- Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Knockoff
- Copycat Applebee's French Onion Soup
- "Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat" Free eCookbook
- 6 Olive Garden Soup Recipes
- 7-Can Soup Copycat Pioneer Woman Recipe
- Just-Like Outback Steakhouse Easy Potato Soup
- Copycat Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Imitation Wendy's Chili
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Panda Express Sweet Fire Chicken Copycat Recipe
- Healthy Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
- Copycat PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 21 Budget-Friendly Recipes: Cheap Dinner Ideas for the Thrifty Chef
- Carnival Nacho Cheese Recipe
- State Fair Taco in a Bag
- 7-Can Soup Copycat Pioneer Woman Recipe
- Copycat Pioneer Woman Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mexican Restaurant Rice Copycat Recipe
- Copycat Chipotle Rice Recipe