8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Copycat Popeye's Chicken Tenders
Learn to make a homemade version of the delicious spicy chicken strips
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
These chicken tenders are better than any you'll find at a fast food place. Nothing can truly beat homemade fried chicken. This chicken has a crispy, homemade breading with a kick of perfectly flavorful cayenne and paprika. But don't let that crackling exterior fool you, the chicken is so tender and juicy on the inside that you won't believe your taste buds.
Serve these tenders with a side of ranch or another favorite sauce and you are good to go. The combination of hot sauce and cool ranch is amazing for summer cookouts or any other time you feel the craving for delicious breaded chicken. This fried chicken recipe is especially great for an outdoor family gathering. It's a real crowd-pleaser that will be requested again time after time.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 12 chicken tenders (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil to fill skillet to 2-inch depth
- blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing or your preferred sauce for dipping
Place buttermilk and hot sauce into a thick zip-top bag and add the chicken. Massage with your fingers to coat all the pieces well and chill several hours or overnight.
In another zip-top bag, combine flour, cayenne, black pepper and paprika. In a flat bowl or deep plate combine egg with buttermilk, hot sauce and salt and beat well.
Using a deep skillet or wok, add vegetable oil to a 2 inch depth and heat over medium hot heat until it reaches 350º F on an instant read or deep fry thermometer. While oil is heating, arrange 2 wire cooling racks on bake sheets lined with foil. Remove chicken from its overnight marinade and place on one of the racks to drip and drain several minutes. When oil reaches 350º F, dip pieces of chicken into the buttermilk mixture, then back into the bag of flour, shaking to remove excess. Set on the wire rack to drip and dry again a few minutes before frying.
Fry pieces of chicken about 5 minutes (depending on size of the strips) turning with tongs until the chicken is evenly browned and cooked through. Drain on the second (clean) wire rack for a few minutes before serving with your desired dipping sauce.
Want more big-name copycats from famous restaurants and brands? We've got you covered with this e-cookbook that's 100% free: 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes Free eCookbook
Our 10 Best Popeye's Recipes
Many restaurants want to be king of fried chicken. Which one do you think deserves the crown?
Read Next30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
williamsal22 46607 80
Nov 28, 2018
This my go to recipe for good chicken tenders. For crispier tenders, I double dip. Dip the chicken in the flour mixture, then dip them in milk/egg mixture. Then dip in flour mixture again. Voila! Crispy chicken! Also, I use self-rising flour and double the seasonings.
Jan 24, 2018
I also love Popeye's chicken and don't have one close to home. I love the spicy kick it has and after looking through the recipe, I can't wait to try it. I think I will borrow my son's airfryer though! I love fried food but don't like making it at home!
Aug 11, 2017
Love Popeye's. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I'm definitely adding it to the list for when I have that itch. D
Feb 17, 2017
I love chicken tenders. These look really delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!
Jul 15, 2016
Love Popeyes Chicken of any kind but if you are taking your whole family and grand kids it gets pricey so I am so glad to see a recipe for it. I like when you can make it yourself because you can control the heat. Some like it real spicy some spicy and some not spicy at all. I make fried chicken a lot and I will try this recipe next. My grand kids ask me every time they see me bring out chicken "are you going to fry it." Thanks for recipe. Any other dipping sauce recipes?
Dec 11, 2015
I don't live near a Popeye's so I am grateful for this recipe! Thanks!!
Dec 10, 2015
The chicken stays nice and moist, and the flavor is very like Popeye's; however, the batter wasn't as thick as at the restaurant, and wasn't crispy or crunchy at all. I'll need to tweak that a bit for next time.
Dec 09, 2015
Yeah, these were good. Good flavor, moist chicken. I like things spicy - so would add some heat to the batter or chicken before doing. Would try to get a little crispier on the outside. The blue cheese dressing was good too!
Dec 09, 2015
This chicken was pretty tender. Next time I will add some hot sauce to the coating to spice it up.
Dec 09, 2015
I loved these tenders. The outside wasn't crispy, but I thought the taste made up for it.
Dec 09, 2015
I really enjoyed these. I LOVE homemade chicken tenders, and these had a good taste.
Dec 09, 2015
These chicken tenders had a wonderfully airy exterior. They could have used a little more flavor and I would add more spices next time.
Dec 09, 2015
They were okay. The coating doesn't stick to the chicken, but I think with a little testing it'd be perfect.
jfaffordableint 09 29251
Apr 30, 2016
I find that if you coat the chicken, then place on a baking rack refrigerate for 30 minutes, they cook beautifully and the coating always stays on. Good luck.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie is an amazing copycat seafood recipe that you can grill up any time of the year. It's… Continue reading: "Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie"
- 30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Copycat Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Copycat Popeye's Chicken Tenders
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
- Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake
- Comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
- One Skillet Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Amish Chicken and Noodles
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Crumbl Cotton Candy Cookie Recipe
- Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat