- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Portillo's Chocolate Cake Shake Copycat Recipe
Ever tried a chocolate cake shake? This is one recipe you've got to taste to believe!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
You can now have a milkshake and eat your cake too! Combine them and make this delicious cake shake. Our Copycat Portillo's Chocolate Cake Shake is a delicious chocolate milkshake made with real chocolate cake. It sounds as great as it tastes!
Fans of the original tasty chocolate cake milkshake will absolutely adore our easy-to-make but decadent version of this Portillo's favorite. Whether you're from the Chicagoland area or just want to make a shake in a brand new way, this copycat dessert is not one you want to pass by!
We'll admit it: once you've been to Portillo's, it's hard not to immediately crave its delicious Chicago-style food again. Now, though, you've got a great way to save money and put your own twist on an already-delicious dessert drink.
This delicious milkshake was inspired by this blogger copycat version of Portillo's Chocolate Cake Shake.
Preparation Time5 min
Cooking Time10 min
Total TimeUnder 15 minutes
- 6 scoops of chocolate ice cream
- 1 big slice of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, crumbled
- 1 shot of espresso (optional)
- A few splashes of milk
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sprinkles
In a blender, add the ice cream, cake, espresso (optional), and a few splashes of milk.
Blend until smooth.
Pour in a glass and top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkes. Enjoy!
Did You Know?
The first Portillo's opened as a small shack called the Hot Dog House in the 60s in the west suburbs of Chicago! After the small shack grew in popularity, the owner, Dick Portillo decided to rebrand, naming the restaurant after himself. Known for their delicious hot dogs, decandent chocolate cake, and refreshing chocolate cake shakes, Portillo's soon became a staple of the Chicagoland food scene.
Eventually the company became more ambitious and started opening stores across the U.S., including expanding to Wisconsin, Indiana, Arizona, and Florida. For a brief period in the 80s and 90s, they even had multiple locations in Japan!
Sweet tooth still not satisfied? Try these other 27 Restaurant Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
St. Louis Butter Cake Recipe
What do you order at Portillo's?
Let us know in the comments!
Read NextWoolworth Cheesecake Copycat
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Dec 13, 2017
SO GOOD! And it tastes just like the original from Portillo's.
May 05, 2017
WHAAAT! A chocolate cake...SHAKE?! Now that is what I'm talking about! I have had one of these at Portillos and it was the bomb diggity dog.
Apr 15, 2016
Ooooooh! The famous cake shake! There's a Portillo's right down the road from me. I'll have to make this and then do a taste test )
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Civil War Macaroni and Cheese Copycat
Do you like old fashioned recipes? Do you like macaroni and cheese? Then you will absolutely love this Civil War Macaroni and Cheese… Continue reading: "Civil War Macaroni and Cheese Copycat"
- Woolworth Cheesecake Copycat
- State Fair Blue Ribbon Fudge Recipe
- Samoa Magic Bars
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Copycat Texas Roadhouse Big Ol' Brownie
- Duck Dynasty Sweet Potato Pie Copycat Recipe
- State Fair Funnel Cake
- Giant Little Debbie Swiss Roll
- 3-Ingredient Chinese Buffet Style Donuts
- Grandma's Famous Homemade Pie Crust
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Crumbl Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Big Mac Casserole
- Texas Roadhouse Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe
- How To Make Homemade Neufchatel Cheese
- Lumpia Filipino-style Egg Rolls
- Crispy Beef Egg Rolls In Air Fryer Recipe
- Dunkin Donuts Wake Up Wrap Copycat Recipe
- Dairy Queen Flamethrower Burger
- Copycat Dairy Queen Flamethrower Sauce
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Tomato Basil Pasta
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat