Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken and Rice Bake Copycat
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
There is nothing better than a casserole when you are pressed for time but still want to deliver a nutritious and delicious meal to your family. With this Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken and Rice Bake Copycat recipe you can quickly make a delectable casserole that will please the pickiest of eaters and satisfy the largest of appetites. With only a few simple ingredients you can have a warm dinner on the table for your family. Try this hearty casserole recipe tonight for a meal that is sure to please your entire family. This recipe makes enough to serve a crowd, so it is perfect for potlucks, or if you want to freeze the leftovers for quick and easy future meal. This warm, comfort food casserole has a delicious crispy topping and makes an excellent side dish or even main dish.
Yields: 2 9 x 11-inch Casseroles
- 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups instant whole grain brown rice (see note)
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (18-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce ) can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar or three-cheese blend
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
Can't get enough casserole recipes? Try this Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking dishes or disposable pans with cooking spray.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, place the chicken and cover with water. Lightly season with salt and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is just barely cooked (it will finish in the oven). Remove chicken and dice or shred with two forks you should have about 4 cups.
- Strain the liquid and measure it. Add additional water, if necessary, to make 2 cups. Place back into the same pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat and cover. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn off heat and allow to steam in the covered pan an additional 5 minutes while assembling the remaining ingredients.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, place half the olive oil and the chicken pieces. Stir and cook just until chicken begins to brown on the edges. Remove the chicken and set aside and in the same skillet, place the remaining oil and the onion and carrots. Continue to cook and stir about 4 minutes until carrots begin to soften and onion becomes translucent. Add peas and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the three soups, the milk and the cheese. Gently stir in the chicken, the rice and the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste, and spoon into prepared casseroles.
- Stir the bread crumbs, melted butter and paprika together and sprinkle evenly over the casseroles.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or to freeze, let mixture cool completely in the pans. Wrap entire pan with plastic wrap and then wrap with foil. Label and freeze. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bring to room temperature before unwrapping and baking as above.
- This recipe makes enough for a big crowd, or for baking and serving later – or sharing with a neighbor who would appreciate a hot meal delivered.
- You can use two large 9x11 foil roasting pans or 3 8 x8 size pans.
- If you wish to use cooked chicken from a purchased rotisserie chicken, you can skip the first step. Simply shred 4 cups of meat from the cooked chicken, discarding skin and bones. In that case, you will need a total of 2 ½ cups water for making the rice instead of using some of the flavorful broth resulting from cooking the chicken, or use 2 ½ cups canned broth.
- We used a converted rice - Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice; if you choose to use a different type of rice, simply follow package directions to make 4 cups cooked rice of any kind.
If you liked this casserole recipe, you might also enjoy our Homemade Boston Market Squash Casserole.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Applebee's Three Cheese Chicken Penne Copycat
P.F. Chang's Orange Peeled Chicken Copycat
Copycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
Copycat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
Copycat Chili's Crispy Chicken Tacos
Copycat Chili's Chicken Crispers
KFC Mashed Potato Bowl Replica
Copycat Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
Copycat Chili's Honey-Chipotle Chicken Crispers
Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Classic Falafel
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pastry
- Fried Ice Cream With Fruity Pebbles
- Easy Almond Macaroons
- Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Joseph Joseph M-Cuisine Popcorn Maker
- Breakfast Egg Boat with Ciabatta Bread
- Chicken Saag
- Cheese Pie Bars with Filo Pastry
- Link Love: 6 Copycat Smoothie King Recipes
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat