8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
There is nothing better than a casserole when you are pressed for time but still want to deliver a nutritious and delicious meal to your family. With this Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake recipe you can quickly make a delectable casserole that will please the pickiest of eaters and satisfy the largest of appetites. With only a few simple ingredients you can have a warm dinner on the table for your family. Try this hearty casserole recipe tonight for a meal that is sure to please your entire family. This recipe makes enough to serve a crowd, so it is perfect for potlucks, or if you want to freeze the leftovers for quick and easy future meal. This warm, comfort food casserole has a delicious crispy topping and makes an excellent side dish or even main dish.
- This recipe makes enough for a big crowd, or for baking and serving later – or sharing with a neighbor who would appreciate a hot meal delivered.
- You can use two large 9x11 foil roasting pans or 3 8 x8 size pans.
- If you wish to use cooked chicken from a purchased rotisserie chicken, you can skip the first step. Simply shred 4 cups of meat from the cooked chicken, discarding skin and bones. In that case, you will need a total of 2 ½ cups water for making the rice instead of using some of the flavorful broth resulting from cooking the chicken, or use 2 ½ cups canned broth.
- We used a converted rice - Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice; if you choose to use a different type of rice, simply follow package directions to make 4 cups cooked rice of any kind.
If you liked this casserole recipe, you might also enjoy our Homemade Boston Market Squash Casserole.
Yields2 9 x 11-inch Casseroles
Cooking Time40 min
- 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups instant whole grain brown rice (see note)
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (18-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce ) can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar or three-cheese blend
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Panko style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking dishes or disposable pans with cooking spray.
In a 3 quart saucepan, place the chicken and cover with water. Lightly season with salt and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is just barely cooked (it will finish in the oven). Remove chicken and dice or shred with two forks you should have about 4 cups.
Strain the liquid and measure it. Add additional water, if necessary, to make 2 cups. Place back into the same pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat and cover. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn off heat and allow to steam in the covered pan an additional 5 minutes while assembling the remaining ingredients.
In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, place half the olive oil and the chicken pieces. Stir and cook just until chicken begins to brown on the edges. Remove the chicken and set aside and in the same skillet, place the remaining oil and the onion and carrots. Continue to cook and stir about 4 minutes until carrots begin to soften and onion becomes translucent. Add peas and remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the three soups, the milk and the cheese. Gently stir in the chicken, the rice and the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste, and spoon into prepared casseroles.
Stir the bread crumbs, melted butter and paprika together and sprinkle evenly over the casseroles.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or to freeze, let mixture cool completely in the pans. Wrap entire pan with plastic wrap and then wrap with foil. Label and freeze. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bring to room temperature before unwrapping and baking as above.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Oct 28, 2018
This recipe for Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake is absolutely great. The recipe is well written and easy to follow with hints and tips along the way. The casserole is creamy and cheesy with a little crunch on top with the breadcrumbs. I really liked the authors suggestions about using different size pans. I used three 8x8 pans and was able to freeze one for another day, and gave one to my neighbor who wasn't feeling well and really appreciated having dinner delivered.
Jun 25, 2015
My favorite part was the breadcrumb topping - it gave the casserole a nice chewy texture. Even though I only had a few bites, this casserole was super filling and delicious.
Jun 25, 2015
I enjoyed this casserole very much, especially the crumb topping.
Jun 25, 2015
The texture of the casserole was good, and I really liked the topping; however, I think I'd like to add a bit of hot sauce or something to give the base of it a bit more kick. Overall, this casserole is worth making, just needs a tweak or two to make it really fabulous.
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks. After reading the recipe, it sounded great, but a bit...anyway, I'll try the"kick". I'm sure it will be a hit. I need a home run.
Jun 25, 2015
You can't really go wrong with a chicken and rice casserole. It seemed like it'd be an especially good recipe for a cold or rainy day -- the essence of comfort food.
Jun 25, 2015
Loved this! Super easy to make and the flavors were delicious. I can't wait to enjoy it again today when I have some leftovers!
Jun 25, 2015
This was a delicious chicken and rice casserole. It was really creamy and I loved the crispy breadcrumb topping.
Jun 25, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of chicken and rice casseroles, but I enjoyed this one. I might even make it without the chunks of chicken next time.
Jun 24, 2015
This dish was the ultimate comfort food. The flavors reminded me of chicken pot pie! Yum!
Jun 24, 2015
Delicious, creamy dish. I enjoyed the texture of the topping. It was nice and crispy, a good contrast to the rest of the dish.
Tmiller2638 338706 5
Jun 24, 2014
How do you get these recipes?
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup
This Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup recipe is unlike any other soup you have tried before. The famous Outback recipe is a… Continue reading: "Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup"
- Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel
- Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
- Copycat Recipe for Bang Bang Chicken
- Winger's Sticky Fingers Knockoff
- Chili's Monterey Chicken Copycat
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Bob Evans BBQ Chicken Salad Copycat
- Panda Express Sweet Fire Chicken Copycat Recipe
- Chinese Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- Easy Homemade Whipped Cream
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat