Copycat Chipotle Carnitas Recipe
Save time and money by making this classic restaurant style carnitas the way they do at Chipotle!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
It is time to break out the slow cooker for Chipotle's Pork Carnitas Copycat recipe and have dinner ready when you get home. This Chipotle carnitas recipe comes out insanely tender and juicy. You can serve this slow cooker carnitas recipe over Mexican rice, in a taco, or even in a fresh salad.
Chipotle recipes like this are absurdly easy to make, but will taste like you slaved away all day to prepare this fiesta in your mouth. Try it out tonight for a pork recipe your family will love! This is one copycat Chipotle recipe you'll want to save. Recreate your favorite burrito bowls from scratch from the comfort of your own home!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 5- or 6-pound pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo (see note)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
If you love this recipe from Chipotle, then you'll love this even easier version from our test kitchen: Restaurant-Style Sweet Pork Carnitas
In a large deep skillet, heat oil and brown the pork on all sides until golden brown. Place pork into the slow cooker, cutting into two or three large pieces if necessary to fit in one layer on the bottom of the insert.
Combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour over the pork. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove pork from the cooker and shred or chop into bit-size pieces. Chill. Remove the bay leaves and pour juices into a large bowl, cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
Skim most of the solidified fat from the juices and pulse briefly in a blender or food processor - some small chunks should remain. Toss the pork with about 1 cup of the juices and reheat. Warm and serve the remaining sauce separately.
Carnitas may be made into burritos or tacos, or used in many other ways.
To serve as burritos, add accompaniments of sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, finely sliced lettuce or cabbage, lime wedges and sour cream.
Chipotle chiles in Adobo are available in small cans in the ethnic section of most grocery stores or in Latino markets. When using, include some of the thick sauce and chop the chiles into 3 or 4 pieces. Store unused chiles and sauce in a ziptop bag in the freezer for later use. If unavailable, you may use crushed pepper flakes or ground chipotle to flavor the carnitas.
The Founding of Chipotle Mexican Grill
The popular Mexican Chipotle fast food chain was founded by Steve Ells in 1993 in Denver Colorado. Ells had previously studied at the Culinary Institute of America in New York and took his experiences in the Mexican food industry in San Francisco with him to Colorado. Only one month after opening, Ells was already selling over 1,000 burritos a day. Ells, initially, was planning on opening a fine-dining restaurant with the money he’d saved up and raised from the small burrito joint, but after seeing the success of his new Mexican grill, he focused his energies and money on this new venture instead. McDonald’s even made a small investment in the company but later pulled out in the hopes of focusing on its own chain. Chipotle now has over 2,000 locations nationally and internationally in Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and France. The chain has become quite a success considering its humble origins.
Top it off!
Complete your Chipotle burrito with a little homemade pico de gallo!
For more amazing copycat Chipotle recipes, check out these
What do you order at Chipotle?
Let us know in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Restaurant-Style Pork and Ramen Stir-Fry
Copycat Tarheel BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich and Cole Slaw
Copycat Luby's Fried Cabbage
Copycat Chipotle Carnitas Recipe
Cafe Rio Copycat Sweet Pork
Shake and Bake Pork Chops
Homemade Tony Roma's BBQ Babyback Ribs
Restaurant-Style Sweet Pork Carnitas
Copycat Taco Bell Pork and Bean Chalupas
How to Make Candied Bacon
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- BergHOFF 3-Piece Leo Pizza Set
- Pizzeria-Style Pizza Sauce
- Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Copycat Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Chili’s White Spinach Queso
- 11 Copycat Boston Market Recipes
- Copycat Boston Market Tuscan Herb Chicken
- Copycat Boston Market Meatloaf Recipe
- Copycat Cheddar's Spasagna Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat