How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Homemade Prego Spaghetti Sauce
This recipe for homemade pasta sauce is just what your spaghetti has been needing!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Conjure up pure Italian flavor with this recipe for Homemade Prego Spaghetti Sauce. Pair your meal with meatballs and garlic bread for a fantastic dinner for the whole family. This amazing classic spaghetti sauce recipe is one you won't want to miss. It's the perfect sauce to turn your Italian dinner from good to out-of-this-world!
Unlike the canned tomato sauce you get at the store, this homemade Prego sauce will be hot and fresh. You'll definitely taste the difference. The best part is, it's not even difficult to make. Just have this simmering while you prepare the other parts of your meal. Your favorite Italian recipes will never be the same.
Sign Up for More Free Copycat Recipes
Total TimeUnder 2 Hours
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
In our free eCookbook, you'll find your favorite salad dressings and sauces from your favorite restaurants: How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Dressing and Sauce Recipes
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds to a minute.
Add the onions and celery and cook 5 minutes.
Then add tomatoes, tomato paste, and all of the seasonings.
Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Taste for seasoning, adjust if needed.
What Makes Prego Sauce Taste So Good?
The Prego sauce recipe was perfected by Campbell Soup Company after an unfair lawsuit against them by Heinz in the early 1980s. Campbell Soup Co. wanted to make a product that would hurt the Heinz ketchup sales, but the company did not have the resources to make a market competitive ketchup product. This is where the pasta sauce came into play.
Other pasta companies like Ragu and Hunts used starch to give their pasta sauce that homemade-like thickness, but innovators at Campbell Soup Company used a new technique called “weeping” where water is removed from a solid.
This technique allowed for a more natural premade sauce. They named the pasta sauce product line “Prego” after the Italian phrase for “don’t mention it” or “you’re welcome.” The Prego pasta line has extended with different varieties of sauces from garlic parmesan to mini meatball totaling 19 different sauces. You’ll be happy to know that copying this sauce recipe will mean having that real homemade pasta taste for dinner tonight!
Love grocery store copycat recipes like this one? Take our quiz: Which Grocery Store Recipe Should You Make?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Sep 01, 2017
Prego is my favorite brand of pasta sauce. I'm excited to try this homemade version!
AllFreeCopycat Edi tor
Feb 03, 2016
The recipe is available again. Thank you all for your patience!
Sep 21, 2016
Can I used 5 teaspoons of Italian died seasoning in lieu of the 2 teaspoons dried basil, 2 teaspoons dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried oregano??? Or would you use less? I add this seasoning when I use a Prego jar also.
Toby K Editor
Sep 23, 2016
That might work, although if you're looking for a more precise replacement for Italian seasoning, we have a recipe here: http://www.allfreecopycatrecipes.com/Sauces-and-Dressings/Homemade-Spice-Mixes-Everyone-Should-Have#Italian%20Seasoning Hope that helps! -Toby, Editor, AllFreeCopycatRecipes
Jan 30, 2016
where is the recipe?
Jan 27, 2016
I can't see the recipe for Homemade Prego Spaghetti Sauce. Please help!!
Morganwinters42 01 77415
Jan 15, 2016
I can't see recipe. Help
Jan 14, 2016
I really liked the flavor of this sauce. I will definitely be using this on my pasta in the future!
Jan 13, 2016
I'll be saving this recipe!
Jan 12, 2016
This sauce tastes JUST like Prego! I'm a big fan of it. I can't even say how many portions I served myself (on top of spaghetti, of course).
Jan 12, 2016
Yum! It tasted really good on my spaghetti.
Jan 12, 2016
Jan 12, 2016
This sauce tasted just like Prego! Eating this sauce really reminded me of my childhood.
Jan 12, 2016
This is a great sauce to serve with all kinds of Italian dishes. I will keep it on file!
Aug 21, 2012
I have used Prego Spaghetti Sauce for a lot of years. Now that I found out on how to make it. This is one recipe I want to try out.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Deli Style Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
This easy pasta salad recipe is perfect for any picnic or church potluck. It is easy to make, creamy, and incredibly tasty. Side dish… Continue reading: "Deli Style Hawaiian Macaroni Salad"
- Longhorn Steakhouse Salad And Ranch Dressing
- Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning Copycat Recipe
- Olive Garden House Dressing Knockoff
- Chili’s White Spinach Queso
- How to Make Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Prego Spaghetti Sauce
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce
- Copycat DQ Strawberry Sauce
- Mexican Restaurant Style Chicken Poblano Queso Blanco
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Dressing Recipe
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Crumbl Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Big Mac Casserole
- Texas Roadhouse Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe
- How To Make Homemade Neufchatel Cheese
- Lumpia Filipino-style Egg Rolls
- Crispy Beef Egg Rolls In Air Fryer Recipe
- Dunkin Donuts Wake Up Wrap Copycat Recipe
- Dairy Queen Flamethrower Burger
- Copycat Dairy Queen Flamethrower Sauce
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Tomato Basil Pasta
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat