- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Vanilla extract is an essential ingredient for any cook or baker. That slight hint of vanilla flavor can make all the difference in a recipe. Now you can make your own vanilla extract at home. Although it does take some time for the vanilla extract to be ready, the authentic taste of homemade vanilla extract is worth the wait. It only requires two simple ingredients to make this essential baking item. You'll be surprised by just how easy it is to make your own vanilla. Watch the video below for easy to follow instructions.
Watch this video for easy to follow step by step instructions:
- For more homemade ingredient recipes, check out our printable recipe collection of Easy Baking Recipes.
- 2 cups vodlka
- 5 vanilla beans
Cut each vanilla bean lengthwise with the tip of a knife.
Mash the beans with a rolling pin or the back of a knife.
Fill the bottle with Vodka, just enough to cover the beans.
Securely cover the top of the bottle. For best results, make sure that the seal is air tight.
Store the bottle in a dark, cool place. Shake the bottle occasionally.
Allow the vanilla beans to soak for at least six weeks for best flavor.
Read NextItalian Seasoning Recipe
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Dec 17, 2016
Every once in a while I run across vanilla beans in a market for a fair price and buy what I can. I love making vanilla sugar but never thought of making vanilla extract. Most of the time vanilla beans are just to expensive. I'll have to save this recipe for Homemade Vanilla Extract and make it the next time I find some beans. I think it will be hard to be patient and let it brew, I'll have to hide it in the back of the spice shelf.. Thank you for sharing this free recipe.
May 27, 2016
I'll have to remember this recipe. Real vanilla extract is so expensive, so it would be nice to have another option.
Jun 15, 2015
Yeah. "Easy" so long as you don't include tracking down actual vanilla beans. Probably spend more time tracking down and getting vanilla beans than waiting for the extract to mature.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie is an amazing copycat seafood recipe that you can grill up any time of the year. It's… Continue reading: "Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie"
- Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Vanilla Sugar Recipe
- How to Make the Perfect Fried Chicken
- Prime Rib Rub Recipe
- How to Make Homemade French Fries
- How to Recreate Your Favorite Starbucks Drinks
- Learn how to cook with culinary herbs like dried basil for an instant taste transformation.
- How to Brew the Best Coffee
- Sweetened Condensed Milk Tutorial
- Pantry Essentials: Your Grocery List Must-Haves
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Crumbl Cotton Candy Cookie Recipe
- Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat