Boston Cream Poke Cake
As far as copycat desserts go, this famous poke cake is one of the best!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
This cake is all about mastering a very simple technique...poking holes in the cake and letting the delicious Boston Cream fill it in! For baking with a twist, give this copycat dessert recipe a try. If you love the taste of the Boston Cream doughnut recipes, we highly recommend this easy copycat recipe. For all of the dessert lovers in your house, this recipe is a true delight that should not be missed.
After all, what could be better than a buttery cake filled with a vanilla pudding and covered in chocolate? Maybe we should be calling this a "Heaven Cream" poke cake!
- 1 box white cake mix (plus, box ingredients)
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Can't get enough cake? This Oreo dessert is one of the easiest Cheesecake Factory restaurant recipes you can find: Copycat Cheesecake Factory Oreo Cheesecake Recipe
Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the package. Bake according to the package in a 9x13-inch baking pan.
When cake is done after testing it with a toothpick that comes out clean, remove it from the oven.
Poke holes in it about an inch apart using the back of a wooden spoon.
Mix two boxes vanilla instant pudding with 4 cups milk until smooth. Pour over the cake.
Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until pudding is set.
Prepare the Ganache
Heat the butter and heavy cream in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not let it boil. Remove from the microwave and add the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to stand for a couple of minutes then whisk it until smooth.
Whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over the cake and pudding that has been refrigerated.
Refrigerate until chocolate ganache is set a couple of hours.
All About Boston Cream Pie
If you're familiar with the wonderful all-American dessert, Boston cream pie, then you know the name is a bit misleading. The dessert is actually more cake than pie. Boston cream pie has custard filling in between two sponge cake layers. It is topped with chocolate glaze of ganache. The dessert is traditionally cut into wedges and served like a pie. The name is thought to have come from the pie tins this dessert was baked in. When this dessert was created in the mid 1800s, pie tins were more common than cake pans.
As the first incarnation of the popular pudding cake, Boston cream pie is actually the precursor to the poke cake. That's why this recipe for Boston Cream Poke Cake is so perfect! Poke cakes are like this one are loaded with pudding filling, just like Boston cream pie. This Boston cream poke cake is really a shortcut Boston cream pie. If has all the flavors, but it will save you a bunch of time by using cake mix.
These old-fashioned recipes are delicious because they are made with the best and freshest ingredients! This collection gives you everything you need to make a great-tasting, old-fashioned meal in your own home: 66 Best Copycat Retro Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Chili's White Chocolate Molten Cake
Boston Cream Poke Cake
Copycat Cracker Barrel Banana Pudding
Duck Dynasty Sweet Potato Pie Copycat Recipe
Homemade Trader Joe's Cowgirl Bark
White Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake
Copycat Dairy Queen Candy Cane Chill Blizzard
Sort of Like Mississippi Mud Pie
Old-School McDonald's Copycat Recipe: Fried Apple Pies
Copycat Carvel Ice Cream Cake
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Russian Salad of Marinated Honey Agarics
- Chickpeas Quick Snack with Turmeric, Red Onion and Red Chilli Flakes
- Gluten Free Almond, Sour Cherries And Raw Organic Cacao Squares
- Giant Potato and Cauliflower Filo Samosa
- Garlicky Black Eyed Beans Pate on Sourdough Toast
- Cabbage Rolls ‘Sarmale’ Stuffed with Ground Beef Veggies and Rice
- No Bake S'mores Bars
- Goats Cheese with Homemade Red Onion Chutney Tartlets
- Halloumi and Asparagus Quiche in Filo Base
- Swiss Chard, Salmon, Turmeric and Fresh Lovage Warm Salad with Acini DE Pepe Pasta
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat