Holiday Side Dish Recipes: 10 Easy Side Dishes for Christmas
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
How to Make the Perfect Baked Potatoes + 5 Baked Potato Recipes
Crispy on the outside. Fluffy on the inside. Baked potatoes are the best comfort food ever, so make sure you get them exactly how you want them!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Whether you need a side dish for dinner or you just want some comfort food that’s tasty and warm, baked potatoes are always the answer. They’re so easy to make, and they’re like a blank canvas for toppings.
This potato side dish is delicious no matter how you prepare it, but the key to getting them right is all in the preparation. There are four main methods from how to make the perfect baked potatoes. From the more traditional methods of oven baking and grilling to the simple, no-work slow cooker and microwave methods, all of them have their pros and cons. Choose wisely!
Craving some chicken to go with your potatos? Check out these Easy Chicken Recipes: 16 Copycat Recipes for Chicken
Perfecting Your Potatoes
Baked Potato Methods
Potatoes in the Oven: Baking your potatoes in the oven is the classic method. It’s pretty easy to do, and although it’s more time consuming than some other methods, it’s a surefire way to get amazing baked potatoes every time.
Many cooks will lightly coat their potatoes in olive oil to make the skins crispier. The main thing to remember with this method is to poke the potatoes with a fork to let the heat get in and the steam escape. This will give you fluffy potatoes on the inside every time.
Potatoes in the Slow Cooker: That’s right, folks! You can make you baked potatoes in the slow cooker.
The downside to this method is that it takes longer, but this way you can let the slow cooker do all the work while you prepare the other parts of your meal. Depending on the recipe that you follow, it can take between four to seven hours.
Potatoes on the Grill: Whether you choose to wrap them in foil or leave them bare, this method will give you great baked potatoes every time.
If you wrap them in foil, you will end up with skins that are softer but amazingly fluffy insides. Some people use skewers to make the potatoes bake more evenly. It also makes them easier to handle. Fire up the grill!
Potatoes in the Microwave: This method is by far the easiest and fastest way to get your baked potato fix. Some say this method doesn’t give you the best potatoes. And while the skins will probably not be as crispy as they would be with other methods, once you see how fast and easy this method is, you’ll understand why it’s worth it!
Top these baked potatoes with your favorite toppings, and you’ll have a baked potato masterpiece that tastes even better because you didn’t have to spend an hour waiting.
5 Baked Potato Recipes
3-Ingredient Outback Steakhouse Baked Potato Copycat - They're warm, comforting, and -- that's right -- only three ingredients!
TGI Friday's Baked Potato Skins Copycat - These baked potato skin are perfect as an appetizer. It's like eating mini baked potatoes. Don't forget the dipping sauce!
Homemade Twice Baked Potatoes - You've had these at just about every homecooking restaurant. Now make them yourself! (It's much easier.)
Copycat Brennan's Stuffed Baked Potatoes - If you've ever had this classic recipe from Brennan's, you know how delicious these potatoes are. It's all in the toppings!
Copycat Panera Baked Potato Soup - Craving your baked potatoes in creamy soup form? This baked potato soup is perfect for cold weather, and tastes just like a loaded baked potato.
For even more great comfort food recipes, check out
Tell us your favorite baked potato toppings in the comments!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Sep 27, 2016
This is really useful to know. I usually avoid baked potatoes because in my mind they are so much work, but it looks like they're actually quite easy! Thanks for this helpful how-to!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze
There's simply no dessert more divine than a pound cake, and this recipe for Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze is such an… Continue reading: "Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze"
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Better Than Buca di Beppo's Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Infused Mushrooms
- Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole Knockoff
- Stewed Cabbage With Potatoes
- Copycat Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (Cracker Barrel Copycat)
- Pioneer Woman Potatoes Copycat Recipe
- Bob Evans' Mashed Potatoes Copycat Recipe
- Copycat Deli Style Pasta Salad
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat