- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Our Version of IKEA Swedish Meatballs
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
There are many delicious varieties of meatball, but IKEA has made the Swedish meatball a favorite for many. Our Version of IKEA Swedish Meatballs are just like the ones you love to get while shopping at IKEA, but now you won't have to go searching far and wide to find your closest IKEA location. The mixture of meat used in the meatball recipe makes them extra flavorful and tender. Coupled with the homemade gravy, these meatballs will knock everyone's socks off. This is the perfect party appetizer during the holiday season. Making a large batch of these Swedish meatballs is easy and they can be served all party long. They are a crowd-favorite that will have everyone hovering over the appetizer table. If you are craving these Swedish meatballs on a weeknight, they can make a great entree served over a bed of egg noodles.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, split
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Place the prepared potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are tender. Once tender, remove the potatoes from the water and mash using a potato masher or ricer. Let cool completely.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add the diced onion with a pinch of salt and saute until translucent. Once the onions are softened and clear, set them aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, ground pork, egg, seasoning, cooled onions, and mashed potatoes. Form the mixture into 1 tablespoon-sized meatballs.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to a large saucepan and melt over medium heat. Fry the meatballs in batches, about 10 meatballs at a time. Turn the meatballs to brown evenly on all sides. Cook through. Place cooked meatballs on a sheet pan and keep them warm in the preheated oven. Add another batch of meatballs and repeat the process until the meatballs are all cooked.
Once the meatballs are cooked, add the flour to the saucepan filled with the meat grease. Whisk vigorously for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the beef broth and continue to whisk.
After a couple minutes, add the cream. Whisk the mixture until it thickens.
Remove the meatballs from the oven and put in the thickened gravy, or serve the gravy on the side.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Dec 11, 2015
I love meatballs, and swedish are the best. I think these were better than IKEA's because they were warm and I didn't end up with a lot of unnecessary furniture! Tasty.
Nov 18, 2014
I've never eaten the meatballs at IKEA, but will definitely be making these again at home. I love the inclusion of potatoes, and the texture was just right - nice and juicy. I think the secret is in the pork in the meat mixture. I'd never made meatballs like this before, but am pretty sure they will be on the menu again for our Christmas Eve gathering, my son's birthday party, and more.
Nov 18, 2014
I'm not very familiar with Swedish meatballs, but after trying these, I'd like to be. What a great little appetizer!
Nov 18, 2014
I live right by IKEA, but I think I'd rather make these than go get some from the store! These meatballs were SO GOOD, and I absolutely loved the addition of the potatoes.
Nov 18, 2014
These taste exactly the same as the IKEA meatballs. I personally don't like meatballs on their own very much, but next time I'd add them to spaghetti and forgo the gravy.
Nov 18, 2014
I can't really compare these to IKEA Swedish Meatballs because I did not realize IKEA sold food . . . which is how often I go there. That said, I think this recipe was absolutely delicious and perfect for a party!
Nov 18, 2014
The addition of potatoes gave these meatballs a great texture. I think this meatball recipe would be great for a party; I'd make them as instructed and then throw the meatballs and the gravy into my slow cooker on the warm setting.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Outback Steakhouse's Blooming Onion Copycat
You can impress party guests or your family with great appetizer restaurant recipes like this Outback Steakhouse's Blooming Onion… Continue reading: "Outback Steakhouse's Blooming Onion Copycat"
- Outback Steakhouse Wheat Bread Copycat Recipe
- Just Like Buffalo Wild Wings Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Our Version of IKEA Swedish Meatballs
- Old-Fashioned Aussie Bites Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Potstickers
- Copycat Texas Roadhouse Fried Dill Pickles
- Homemade Chinese Pork Buns
- Knockoff Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls
- Pub-Style Spicy Fried Cheese Balls
- Copycat KFC Georgia Gold Chicken Recipe
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Copycat Wendys Frosty Recipe
- Baked Beans With Ground Beef
- Homemade Tomato Juice Recipe
- Easy Bake Smores Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Starbucks Dragonfruit Refresher Recipe
- Best Simple Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
- Dutch Bros Kicker (irish Cream Breve)
- Copycat Frappuccino Or Frappé
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat