- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Duck Dynasty Chicken and Dumplings Copycat
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
This dish is a classic comfort food recipe. The combination of juicy, tender chicken and filling homemade dumplings is sure to please any guest or family member. If your family enjoys the Duck Dynasty TV show, make sure to tell them that this recipe was inspired by Miss Kay's very own recipe for squirrel and dumplings. We used chicken instead of squirrel for this recipe, but if you prefer, you could make a squirrel and dumpling soup instead, just like the original recipe from Miss Kay's kitchen.
This recipe doesn't require very many ingredients, but it stilll has a rich, delicious flavor. It will serve eight people, so it is perfect for a small family gathering. When you're planning your meal, make sure to check out our other Duck Dynasty copycat recipes.
- 1 (5-pound) chicken, cut into serving size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cups all purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons for rolling
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
For a full Duck Dynasty-themed meal, try this recipe: Copycat Duck Dynasty Sweet Potato Pie
Rub the chicken pieces well with salt and pepper and place into a large 6 to 8 quart stew pot. Add 10 cups of water and place over medium high heat until it comes to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Chicken should begin to pull away from the bones. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and discard bones and skin, then shred the meat and set aside.
Add the evaporated milk and butter to the broth in the pot and allow to simmer while you prepare the dumplings.
Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl, tossing to mix well and remove any lumps, or use a food processor. Cut in the shortening until it is in small pieces the size of peas. Add the buttermilk gradually and mix until the dough holds together and resembles biscuit dough.
Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour on a work surface and scoop the dough out onto the surface. Knead the dough together just one or two times until it holds together and is no longer very sticky, then divide into 4 balls. One at a time, roll the balls with a rolling pin to a -inch thickness then cut into 2-inch squares, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking to the surface. Place the squares on a baking pan which is lightly dusted with flour, and continue to roll and cut the remaining dough.
Bring the broth in the stew pot back to a boil. Drop the dumplings into the pot a few at a time and then lower the heat to low and cover. Simmer 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir the shredded meat back into the broth and let stand a few minutes until it is all heated through.
Serve in soup bowls, ladling in some meat, some broth and then dumplings on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
For a delicious side dish, try these rolls: Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls
Read Next30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie
Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie is an amazing copycat seafood recipe that you can grill up any time of the year. It's… Continue reading: "Copycat Outback Steakhouse Shrimp on the Barbie"
- 30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Copycat Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Copycat Popeye's Chicken Tenders
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
- Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake
- Comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
- One Skillet Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Amish Chicken and Noodles
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Crumbl Cotton Candy Cookie Recipe
- Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat