California Pizza Kitchen Copycat Butter Cake
Butter cake recipes don't get any more decadent than this!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
If you are looking for a sweet dessert to impress guests, then this California Pizza Kitchen Copycat Butter Cake is the dessert you are in search of. The butter cake recipe is a California Pizza Kitchen classic and easy to recreate at home. The butter cake recipe has a cakey base and a cheesecake-like topping.
The two textures meld to create the perfect bite of heaven. The cake forms a gorgeous crust and golden top, making it a great dessert to serve with guests. This cake recipe is deceptively simple. You could eat it by itself or serve it up with a scoop of ice cream. You could also use it as the base of a rich and delicious strawberry shortcake like they do at California Pizza Kitchen.
If you love these recipes, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get amazing copycat recipes like these delivered to your inbox every day!
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time50 min
Cooking Vessel Size9-inch Round Cake Pan
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For more great CPK classics, check out this collection: 13 Copycat California Pizza Kitchen Recipes
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom of the cake pan. Take 1-2 teaspoons of sugar and sprinkle it over the bottom and sides of the cake pan.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and beat with the sugar until fluffy.
Gradually beat in the flour and baking powder until combined with the butter/sugar mixture.
Add eggs in one at a time. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. Add buttermilk and beat until the batter is light and fluffy.
Pour batter into a prepared cake pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cake is golden. It is done when a wooden skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Let cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Carefully invert onto a cooling rack to cool further.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Did You Know?
California Pizza Kitchen definitely has a unique origin. Have you ever felt the need for a major career switch? Be thankful that Rick Rosenfield and Larry Flax felt the need for one, otherwise, we wouldn't have California Pizza Kitchen! The pair were originally attorneys that decided to enter the restaurant business by focusing on California-style pizza. On March 27th, 1985 the first restaurant opened in Beverly Hills, California. The Original Barbeque Chicken Pizza that has become so popular is credited to this establishment. Thank goodness for that!
Today, California Pizza Kitchen has hundreds of locations in 16 countries and over 14,000 employees. If one of those many locations isn't near you, you can still enjoy the delicious flavor of California-style pizza with their make-at-home frozen pizzas. You can find them in the freezer aisle of most grocery stores. Also, good news for gluten free foodies: they have gluten free pizza crust, too!
What's your favorite dessert from California Pizza Kitchen?
Let us know in the comments!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Copycat Red Lobster Lava Cake
Duck Dynasty Sweet Potato Pie Copycat Recipe
Homemade No-Bake Peanut Butter Twix Pie
Trader Joe's Copycat Cowboy Bark
White Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake
Copycat Longhorn Steakhouse Chocolate Mousse Cake
Mini Orange Bundt Cakes with Chocolate and Nutella Glaze
Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf
Simple Amish Chess Pie Recipe
English Garden Lemon Bars
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Grandma’s Twisted French Toast or ‘Friganele’
- Chilli Con Meatballs a La Ramona’s Cuisine
- Apple, Carrot and Zucchini Cake with Ginger and Turmeric
- Three Grains, Mushrooms with Fresh Herbs and Onion Squash Bateau
- Herby Barley Couscous with Chipotle Halloumi and Grilled Apricots
- All Seasons Orzo, Halloumi and Olive Salad
- Waffle, Quail Eggs, Bacon and Maple Syrup Lush Breakfast
- Healthier Flapjacks with Honey and Dry Pomegranate Seeds
- Brown and Green Lentils with Portobello Mushrooms, Wasabi Rocket and Watercress Hearty Salad
- Homemade Avocado and Fried Egg Crostini
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat