How to Make a Pie Crust from Scratch
Learn how to make a simple pie crust once and for all with our step-by-step guide!
Making a pie crust isn't rocket science, but it for novice bakers, it can certainly feel that way. Learn how to make a pie crust from scratch without tearing your hair out in the process when you follow our easy step-by-step guide. This easy pie crust recipe will come in handy for more occasions that you can possibly imagine. It's one of the building blocks of baking that every chef needs to know. Learn how to make a pie crust from this basic pie crust recipe and not only will you be set when the holidays come around, but you'll be able to impress your friends with your new skills in the kitchen. The next step will be learning how to make pie filling, which is also relatively simple once you have the tools.
Our easy pie crust recipe is perfect for using in all kinds of pie recipes. From blueberry pies to apple pies, even no-bake pies and everything in between, this recipe will give you a perfect, flaky and buttery crust. This is also a great recipe to give to someone as a gift. Type up the recipe and stuff your pre-made pie dough in mason jars, fasten the recipe to the jar and give it out around the holidays. Using only 6 ingredients, this is one of the more basic pie crust recipes out there, making it simple enough for anyone to master.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter flavored shortening (use plain if desired)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
5 tablespoons ice cold water
1 teaspoon distilled water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and shortening.
2. With a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening.
3. Continue cutting the mixture until the texture resembles that of peas.
4. Beat egg in a small bowl and add to the flour mixture.
5. Slowly add in 3 tablespoons of cold water, one at a time.
6. Blend mixture just until completely moistened. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of water if mixture is still dry. Test with your hands to make sure mixture isn't crumbly, but slightly sticky.
7. A soft dough will form:
8. Turn out onto the counter and pat into 2 disks.
9. Wrap each disk and refrigerate until ready to use. Roll out as desired. *For an extra flaky crust, freeze for about 20 minutes before rolling out.
Pie Recipes to Try!
Check out 3 our of favorite pie recipes below that you can try your new skills out with by making a homemade crust instead of a store bought one!
1. Shown: Inspired By Momofuku Crack Pie - by Averie Cooks
2. Homemade Duck Dynasty Pecan Pie - by Mommy's Kitchen
3. Snickers Peanut Butter Pie - by Crazy for Crust
Have you ever made a pie from scratch before? What is your favorite pie recipe to make from scratch?