How to Make a Sandwich: 5 Questions to Ask Yourself When You Make a Sandwich
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Legend has it that the sandwich was invented in the eighteenth century when the Earl of Sandwich requested a food that wouldn't get his hands messy. Little did he know, soon everyone would be learning how to make a sandwich for their own. When you make a sandwich, how much thought do you put into what you're doing? This article, How to Make a Sandwich: 5 Questions to Ask Yourself When You Make a Sandwich, will show you that sandwich making is a combination of a centuries-old art and a simple science.
If you're having a bad day, chances are that a good old-fashioned sandwich can help you feel better. With so many possibilities, it's hard not to find one you like. Best of all, these tasty morsels are portable, so it's no wonder they're so popular for lunch. Once you ask yourself the following questions, a simple lunch can turn into a feast you'll be looking forward to all day. If you're still feeling stuck in the sandwich-making world, we also have six recipes for sandwiches that you can try at home.
Looking for an extra little something to go with that sandwich? Our free eCookbook gives you some homemade alternatives: "16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores" eCookbook
5 Questions to Ask Yourself When You Make a Sandwich
What is the main ingredient? Are you making a grilled cheese, or are you loading up on veggies? Once you have this basic ingredient in mind, you can figure out how to jazz it up right with spice and sauce. Be sure to marinate or roast the vegetables in a veggie-only sandwich to give them an extra punch.
What will go well with this main ingredient? Don’t always fall back on lettuce and tomatoes. Lettuce can be substituted with spinach, kale, shredded cabbage, or arugula. And if you’ve never been a fan of the watery tomato, choose some snappy roasted red peppers or radishes. Likewise, the secret to a scrumptious tuna salad sandwich is sprouts.
How can I contrast different flavors and textures? If your main ingredient is soft in texture, don’t choose other soft ingredients and put it on a soft bread. Instead, give it some crunch by adding walnuts or some chew by adding cranberries. Even potato chips work great for giving that sandwich some pop. Similarly, your flavors have to have balance. If your main ingredient is salty, add a little sweetness like apples. Mayo and cheese go great with the freshness of tomatoes.
How can I get creative with the condiments? If your first resort is either mustard or mayo, maybe it’s time to reconsider your options. You can instead use anything from vinaigrette or pesto to BBQ sauce or salsa. The creaminess of hummus is great on a sandwich of your choice. Your mustard and mayonnaise will love the extra company!
What are my bread options? No matter how perfect the ingredients may be, a bad bread can ruin the entire sandwich - whether it’s too soggy or not sturdy enough. Moist ingredients call for a dense bread with a thick crust so that the moisture isn’t absorbed. A safe bet for bread is the tortilla, which is both moisture-resistant and sturdy enough to hold heavier ingredients. Also, don’t be afraid to branch out and try different breads. Rye bread is a great option for a Reuben sandwich; veggies taste great on an onion cornbread; Philly cheesesteaks are made better with ciabatta bread. Other tasty options are pita bread, sourdough, baguettes, homemade sandwich bread, and buns.
Applebee's Clubhouse Grille - With a few simple ingredients, now you can enjoy this delicious sandwich at home any time.
Panera Turkey, Apple & Cheddar Sandwich - Little bit of crunch, little bit of tang, and a whole lot of flavor!
Copycat Jason's Deli Mediterranean Wrap - This wrap is filled with all kinds of delicious ingredients.
Homemade Subway Meatball Marinara Sub - This classic sandwich recipe is the perfect lunch or dinner, and will satisfy even the biggest appetite.
Carl's Jr. Copycat Santa Fe Grilled Chicken Sandwich - Simply allow the chicken breasts to marinate in your homemade teriyaki sauce overnight, and the next day you can put together a tasty lunch in 30 minutes.
Copycat Panera Turkey-Cranberry Flatbread Sandwich - The homemade Panera flatbread is loaded with juicy slices of turkey breast, a homemade cranberry morstada, Boursin cheese, and leafy greens.
Ready to start something special? These copycat recipes from the 1950s are vintage fare at its finest: 20 Copycat Recipes from the 1950s
What is your favorite kind of sandwich?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
There is nothing more satisfying at the end of a long day than some potatoes au gratin to indulge yourself in. These perfect Copycat… Continue reading: "Copycat Pioneer Woman Au Gratin Potatoes"
- Copycat Applebee's Clubhouse Grille Sandwich
- Whataburger Chicken Strip Sandwich
- Copycat Bennigan's Turkey O'Toole
- Copycat Pioneer Woman Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Homemade Bread in a Bag
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Copycat Five Guys Burger Recipe
- Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
- Just-Like Bennigan's Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Slow Cooker McRib Sandwiches
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Copycat Crab Rangoon
- Copycat Disney Dole Whip Recipe
- Copycat Cheddar Biscuits Recipe(red Lobster)
- How To Make Easy Homemade Pizza
- Copycat Chick-fil-a Sauce
- Pasta With Broccoli And Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Grilled Tex Mex Chicken Breast
- Shaken Espresso With Oatmilk
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat