- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
'Mad Men' Recipe for Caesar Salad from Keens Steakhouse
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
If you're in search of a restaurant-quality caesar salad recipe, try this 'Mad Men' Recipe for Caesar Salad from Keens Steakhouse in New York City. This salad was featured on the AMC hit show, and it's tasty in real life!
At Keens the waiters dress the salad and add the garnishes tableside.The recipe makes one large salad portion. You’ll have leftover dressing and croutons.
Executive Chef Bill Rodgers also recommends using this delicious salad dressing for marinating grilled chicken.
Caesar Croutons Notes:
Place the bread in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing to make it easier to cut even squares.
Whole melted butter can be substituted for the clarified butter, but will brown the croutons faster.
To make clarified butter, melt 4 tablespoons of butter slowly in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit until it separates. Skim off the foam that rises to the top, and gently pour the butter off of the milk solids, which will have settled to the bottom.
Recipe Note: This recipe is used by permission from The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Inside the Kitchens, Bars, and Restaurants of Mad Men by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin (Smart Pop, 2011).
Yields1 large salad (serves 1 to 2)
- 3 1/2 cups romaine lettuce, cleaned, cut
- 2 ounces Caesar Dressing (see recipe)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 4 thin slices pimiento
- 2 anchovy filets, cut in half (4 pieces)
- Caesar Croutons (see recipe)
- Caesar Dressing:
- 1 1/2 ounce water
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 Italian anchovy filets
- 2 2/3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Caesar Croutons:
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs (rosemary, parsley, and thyme), chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Place lettuce in a serving bowl. Toss with dressing.
Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, garnish with egg yolk, pimiento, anchovy filets, and croutons and toss well.
Combine the water and lemon juice in a measuring cup and set aside.
Combine canola and olive oils in a measuring cup and set aside.
In the blender, combine the remaining ingredients and mix for 10 seconds. With the blender running, slowly begin to add the combined oils in a slow and steady stream. As you continue to add the oil, the mixture will begin to thicken. When the mixture thickens, thin it out with of the water/lemon juice mixture. Repeat this process until all the oil has been incorporated.
Chill dressing until cold. (Yields 2 1/2 Cups Dressing)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Toss bread cubes in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or just until slightly browned and crisp. Let cool at room temperature before serving. Store covered in an airtight container. (Croutons for 6 large salads)
Read NextCopycat Olive Garden Salad Recipe
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup
This Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup recipe is unlike any other soup you have tried before. The famous Outback recipe is a… Continue reading: "Homemade Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup"
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad Recipe
- Copycat Neiman Marcus Chicken Salad
- Cheesecake Factory's Santorini Farro Salad Copycat
- Copycat Outback Steakhouse Wedge Salad
- Corner Bakery Mozzarella Tomato Arugula Salad
- Outback House Salad
- Copycat O'Carrs Chicken Salad
- Maggiano's House Salad
- 'Mad Men' Recipe for Caesar Salad from Keens Steakhouse
- St. Louis Bread Company Bread, Tomato And Basil Salad
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- Easy Homemade Whipped Cream
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat