This recipe was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Delicious Egg Chicken Roll Recipe
"A dear friend of mine mentioned this egg chicken roll to me some time ago and I really had to make it. Egg chicken roll is a super popular Indian street food apparently that is served especially on Calcutta's streets. To me, it instantaneously did sound like a recipe I wanted to make and try as soon as possible. It is one of those homemade chicken recipes that you would want to have over and over again and not feel guilty at all feel no guilt about. "
Preparation Time10 min
Chilling Time20 min
Cooking Time30 min
- For the chicken:▢500 g chicken (17.64 oz)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste 1 tsp or powder 1 tsp
- ¾ tablespoon chicken garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2-3 cloves garlic made into paste or grated on smallest holes
- 2-3 pods cardamom strongly recommend using this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any oil you like
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli and herbs powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric fresh or powder
- For paratha: 300 g flour (2.4 cups) I used equal amounts wholemeal and white spelt
- 180-200 ml water ( 6-7 floz) lukewarm
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Other ingredients: 4 large eggs to line the parathas
- salad any salad will do - shredded
- red chilli for garnishing (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 cup cucumber sliced (cut julienne)
- 2-3 med spring onions /scallions
- 5 tablespoons fresh herbs parsley or coriander /cilantro
- ½ lemon juiced and jested
To make the parathas: Add the flour, turmeric powder salt, and pepper to a clean glass bowl. Whisk slightly to mix this homogenously.
Add the water little by little kneading gently until all water has been incorporated and the dough no longer sticks to your hands. This should take 5-7 minutes. You will have a soft and smooth dough that has formed. When finished, cover with clingfilm and a kitchen towel and set aside.
After the 20 minutes rest, divide the dough into 10 equal amounts (use a scale if you wish to be really accurate). Form dough balls and place those on a wooden board or your clean worktop/ working surface.
Flatted the parathas with the help of a rolling pin by rolling each ball into a flat disk of approximately 17-18 cm or 7-8 inches. Roll as you cook them otherwise you will need a lot of extra space. If you have the space, flour the surface and roll all 10 dough balls.
Place a cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan over medium fire/heat. Cook all parathas and pile them just like crepes on a plate.
Prep and cook the chicken: Add the chicken cut into strips and all the marinating ingredients mentioned above into a bowl and set aside for at least 20 mins.
Add the oil to a deep non-stick pan or a cast-iron skillet and place over medium-high heat. add the marinated chicken and cook for about 15-18 minutes tossing occasionally. Cook until the chicken is well cooked and it starts to sizzle.
Getting the parathas lined with egg: Take a pan out, place it on fire, add a little brush of olive oil, and pour in some egg mixture using a small ladle. Place a paratha over the egg and allow it to cook for one minute or so until the egg is cooked. Do so with all the parathas.
Assembling the Egg Chicken Roll: Have all the parts needed to put the rolls together ready (sauce, salad, chicken and the parathas, garnishing chilies, and 1/2 the lemon)