Copycat Popeye's Fried Chicken Recipe
Don't forget the delta sauce, too! This Popeye's chicken recipe also has a recipe for the homemade version of this sauce.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing beats some good old-fashioned Southern cooking, and you are bound to get the whole family on board with this copycat recipe for Popeye's Extra-Crispy Spicy Fried Chicken with Delta Sauce. The Popeye's Delta sauce is slightly spicy and completely divine, especially when paired with a crispy fried chicken recipe. When the family is looking for a quick and delicious chicken recipe, nothing tops a copycat recipe of Popeye's chicken! It's so much more than fast food.
There is no reason to head out for fried chicken, when you can make this amazing fried chicken at home! You'll love this copycat Popeye's chicken recipe. The Delta sauce is creamy and spicy, while the chicken is crispy, flavorful, and not too hot. This is a classic Southern dish that everyone will enjoy.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 (3-pound chicken
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups peanut oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- For the Delta Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced very fine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- hot pepper sauce to taste
For more great recipes from Popeye's, check out these 8 Copycat Popeye’s Recipes
Place the chicken pieces into a very large bowl and add buttermilk to completely cover. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Make the Delta sauce while chicken marinates. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine well. Chill 1 hour or more; it will hold up to 1 week.
Combine flour, cayenne, and all purpose flours and paprika in a large zip-top bag and shake to mix. This will give you that deliciously spicy marinade, just like they have at Popeye's.
Combine eggs, water, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
Remove chicken from the buttermilk and arrange on a cooling rack set into a rimmed baking sheet so that excess buttermilk drips off.
In a large skillet that is at least 3 inches deep, place the oil and heat over medium high until it reaches 350 degrees F. Use a thermometer to check the temperature.
While oil is heating, drop chicken a few pieces at a time into the zip top bag with the dry ingredients and shake to coat, then dip them into the egg mixture and finally back into the dry ingredients again. Shake off excess flour and set on the cooling rack to drip.
When oil is at 350 degrees F, use tongs to lower a few pieces at a time into the hot oil -- do not crowd the pan. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning once and keeping an eye on the oil temperature, adjusting the heat to be sure the oil remains at 350 degrees F.
When chicken pieces are done, remove from the oil with tongs and set on another cooling rack/baking sheet so that air circulates around them. Place into a 300 degree oven while you repeat the procedure until all the chicken is cooked.
Serve right away or at room temperature with the Delta Sauce for dipping.
-If the oil gets too hot and the chicken browns too much before it is totally cooked, simply put it into the oven on the cooling rack/baking pan as directed above, but raise the oven temperature to 350 and let cook a few more minutes.
-Check out the reader favorite recipe that inspired this Test Kitchen creation: Homemade Popeye's Fried Chicken!
Need a side dish to go with your Popeye's spicy chicken? Why not try this recipe for Copycat Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Copycat Popeye's Chicken Tenders
- Homemade Olive Garden Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel
- Copycat General "Pow's" Chicken
- Winger's Sticky Fingers Knockoff
- Copycat Hibachi Chicken and Steak with Vegetables
- One Skillet Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 27 Best Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
- Copycat Popeye's Fried Chicken Recipe
- Copycat Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- How to Make Restaurant Style Steak at Home
- Copycat New York’s Famous Levain Bakery’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pineapple Ham
- Honey Orange Firecracker Shrimp
- Starbucks Unicorn Frappuccino Copycat Recipe
- Totally Bamboo Pizza Cutter and Artisan Pizza Board
- 6 Copycat Panera Soup Recipes