- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Certain recipes are worthy enough to be passed down through several generations. This Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings recipe will be one of them. This recipe for old-fashioned chicken and dumplings will become a staple in your household. Make it your signature dish.
- 1 whole chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds
- 5 carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 5 celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 stalks fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dry flakes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons solid shortening or butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup milk
Place chicken into a large dutch oven and add 3 quarts water, or to cover. Around the chicken, arrange 3 carrots, one onion and 4 of the celery stalks, all roughly chopped. Add bay leaves, half the parsley, and the spices. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a gentle simmer and cook 45 minutes. Chicken should be completely cooked – check to see that it is ready to fall off the bone and cook longer if necessary.
Remove chicken to a cutting board and strain liquid through a wire sieve over a large bowl. Measure 3 cups of the stock to use now and store any extra for another use.
Remove bones and skin from the chicken and shred all of the meat into bite-size pieces. Place chicken in the same Dutch oven, return the 3 cups of stock plus the remaining carrots, onion and celery, all finely diced. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Simmer for 20 minutes while preparing the dumpling dough.
In a medium bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt together, then use a pastry blender to add the shortening or butter until well mixed. Add remaining parsley, finely chopped, and stir in the milk to form a soft dough. Using a large spoon or 2-inch ice cream scoop, drop 12 spoonfuls of dough on top of the simmering chicken mixture. Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes, then cover the pan and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
For more excellent copycat recipes like this one, check out this collection: 30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
Read NextCopycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Mar 13, 2016
I have actually had cracker barrels chicken and dumplings and it is kind of bland. This recipe actually resembles Chicken soup with dumplings which has been a staple in my home since I was a child. For it to be 'chicken and dumplings' you would need to roll out the dough on a floured surface. The flour helps thicken the broth. roll the dough out and cut to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thickness and about 3 to 4 inches long. The dumpling will plump up when cooking in the broth. The ingredients in this recipe are correct except cracker barrel does not use carrots or celery, or at least not at the cracker barrels that I've been to but the carrots and celery do add great flavor! I also add about 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric, it adds another dimension of flavor!
Mar 15, 2016
Thank you so much for the comment! That is some really great advice. I'll have to try it your way if I ever decide to make it. - Chelsea, Editor
catlady6866 288727 4
Apr 23, 2018
If you wish, you can always thicken it up with a slurry. As for the carrots celery, I always add them in for flavor, also for eye appeal. I'll definitely try using turmeric next time....sounds good, thanks.
Jan 15, 2016
MMmm. This was tasty and filling. The chicken turned out perfectly tender, and the biscuits were delicious and not too dry.
Jan 14, 2016
What's not to love about chicken and dumplings? I don't know about Cracker Barrel, because I don't eat there - but I'll surely be making this recipe on a regular basis. The chicken is so juicy and tender, and the dumplings are outrageously flavorful. Add in all the rest and it's simply divine!
Jan 14, 2016
Loved this. The dumplings were a bit crumbly but tasted really good.
Jan 14, 2016
I loved this recipe! I haven't tried the Cracker Barrel version, but this one was very flavorful.
Jan 14, 2016
This Chicken and Dumplings recipe was delicious! The chicken was so moist and juicy, and the dumplings were heavenly. I would definitely make this again.
Feb 23, 2015
Have not tried ... busy people do not have time for the time it would take to prepare this recipe
Feb 28, 2018
Then please do not comment about the recipes unless you try them!
Nov 22, 2014
Nice recipe, except it doesn't define which ingredients are for the stock and which are for the soup - very confusing
Sep 24, 2012
Not too crazy about this recipe-would not fix it again. It was okay but not the type of chicken & dumplings that I was looking for.
May 24, 2012
ok seriously people be kind. this is her version and this could be delicious. if you don't want to add the carrots and celery and 'junk' then don't. i have had cracker barrell's version and yes i agree this is a bit different but did you come up with a copy cat recipe ? ok then be nice
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze
There's simply no dessert more divine than a pound cake, and this recipe for Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze is such an… Continue reading: "Orange Nutella Pound Cake with Orange Glaze"
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
- Asian Sweet Chili Chicken
- Chili’s Chicken Crispers Copycat
- 30 Minute Chicken and Dumplings
- Chili's Monterey Chicken Copycat
- Copycat Chili's Chicken Crispers
- Cheesecake Factory Pretzel Crusted Chicken Copycat
- Copycat Cafe Max Chicken Salad Recipe
- Just Like Applebee's Chicken Cavatappi
- Cheesecake Factory Bang Bang Chicken Copycat Recipe
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat