8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel
You can try one of the most popular Cracker Barrel restaurant recipes right in your own home!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Nothing says comfort food like a dish from Cracker Barrel and this Copycat Chicken Casserole from Cracker Barrel is just that. The hearty chicken casserole recipe is made with cream of chicken soup, chunks of tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and homemade cornbread. In just over an hour, you can be enjoying your very own Cracker Barrel recipe.
The creamy chicken filling takes just a few minutes to make on the stove top and is very similar to a classic chicken pot pie filling. The freshly-made cornbread is sprinkled right over the filling and creates a crunchy crust with a slightly sweet taste. This is the perfect recipe to cook for a family dinner or even a dinner party because it is easy to make, super satisfying, and will feed a large crowd. Even kids will love the taste of this homemade Cracker Barrel recipe. Serve it up tonight with a simple salad or a side of your favorite steamed vegetables.
NotesFor a different taste, try substituting Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Potato Soup. It will add a whole new dimension of flavor!
- For the Cornbread:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- For the Chicken Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in bite-sized pieces
If you like this recipe, make sure you try our other Cracker Barrel favorite: Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Browns Casserole
Mix all the ingredients for the cornbread except the melted butter together in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden and done. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
When the cornbread is cool, crumble all the cornbread and place 3 cups of the cornbread crumbs in a mixing bowl.
Add the 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside.
In medium-sized saucepan on medium-low heat, heat the butter and saute the chopped onions and celery until they are transparent, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper. Stir until well blended and the soup is dissolved completely.
Add the cooked chicken; stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Place the chicken filling in a buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or individual casserole dishes (about four).
Sprinkle the cornbread crumb topping on top of the chicken mixture; do not stir into the chicken filling. It should form a crust over the filling.
Place the baking dish in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 - 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow.
Serve while hot.
You'll want to cook these easy main dish recipes with your family and pass on special Sunday traditions from generation to generation! If you love filling food that makes everyone happy, you'll love this collection:
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Mar 02, 2018
I have eaten at a few Cracker Barrel restaurants in my day, but I do not remember a chicken casserole unless this is the chicken pot pie-type dish they serve. I know Cracker Barrels most duplicated recipe is their famous hash brown casserole so I am interested in checking this one out too. Sounds yummy.
kenziewood07 43526 50
Sep 15, 2017
I can't wait to try this Copycat Chicken casserole from Cracker Barrel. With the weather here quickly cooling down, it will be a great addition to my winter dishes. I do have a question, though. Where I live it is hard to get corn meal for the corn bread. I can get corn bread mix from a specialty shop in London. Can I use that? Or does the corn bread recipe have anything in it that the premade mix doesn't?
Feb 05, 2017
Delicious! This is one of my favorite copycat Cracker Barrel recipes. It freezes really well, and reheats beautifully.
Nov 24, 2015
Can this be frozen before baking?
Aug 27, 2014
Delish. Enjoyed some for lunch today. The combination of corn bread, chicken and sauce made for a tasty meal. Will definitely make again. Next time might add a little jalapeno pepper to spice it up!
Aug 27, 2014
I love finding new ways to incorporate cornbread into meals. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Aug 27, 2014
Super tasty! An excellent choice for "comfort" food :)
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Mini Meatball Sliders
If you think you need to break the bank for your gameday party food, you haven't seen this recipe for Mini Italian Meatball Subs. Why… Continue reading: "Mini Meatball Sliders"
- Grandma's Stouffer-Style Chicken and Rice Bake
- 30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Olive Garden-Inspired Chicken Lombardy Recipe
- Applebee's Three Cheese Chicken Penne Copycat
- Olive Garden Chicken Parmesan Vino Bianco
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- One Skillet Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- KFC Potato Wedges (Copycat)
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Nugget Recipe
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- 4th Of July Cookies
- Easy Copycat Wendys Frosty Recipe
- Baked Beans With Ground Beef
- Homemade Tomato Juice Recipe
- Easy Bake Smores Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Starbucks Dragonfruit Refresher Recipe
- Best Simple Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
- Dutch Bros Kicker (irish Cream Breve)
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat