Homemade Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
No one does chicken and dumplings recipes like Cracker Barrel!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
For the ultimate bite of down-home country cooking, try this recipe for Homemade Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings. This chicken and dumplings recipe makes for the perfect Sunday supper. Everything's better when it's homemade -- especially comfort food! And this copycat recipe is a perfect example of that. Cracker Barrel's Old Country Store dumplings are simply divine, and the only way to make them better is to make them yourself! (Don't worry. It's easier than you think.)
Even though this recipe calls for homemade chicken stock, you could always use the store bought version, if you're in a pinch. And this recipe is also a great way to use up some of that leftover chicken. The stock and light seasonings in this Cracker Barrel recipe are so flavorful, your friends and family won't even know it's leftover!
The chicken can be cut into large chunks or shredded, depending on how you prefer the dish, but what truly makes this old-fashioned chicken and dumplings recipe a classic is those dumplings that are perfectly pillowy and practically melt in your mouth. This is one dinner recipe Grandma would definitely approve of!
- For the Chicken Stock:
- 1 chicken, whole or cut up
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 4 stalks of celery, cut in half
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons crisco
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 carrots, chopped (optional)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Green peppers and onion are combined with ground beef to create this iconic Cracker Barrel dish: Copycat Cracker Barrel Meatloaf Recipe
To Make the Chicken Stock:
Place all ingredients for the chicken stock in a large stock pot. Fill with water until all the ingredients are covered.
Bring the ingredients to a light simmer and let simmer over low heat for about 2 hours. Then remove the pieces of chicken and set aside. Strain the rest of the stock, discarding all the vegetables.
After the chicken cools, cut it into pieces or shred it, depending on how you like your chicken and dumplings.
Side Note: This chicken stock would make a great base for chicken and noodle soup, too!
To Make the Dumplings:
Mix together all of the dumpling ingredients in a mixing bowl until they come together and form a ball. Add more flour if dough is too sticky and more milk if dough is too dry.
Place the ball of dough on a floured surface. Knead a few times until smooth. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
Cut the rolled out dough into slices, then smaller bite-sized pieces. These will be your dumplings.
Heat the remaining ingredients in a large pot with 6 cups of the strained stock. Add the reserved chicken. Add more water if the ingredients are not covered. Bring to a boil.
Put the heat on low and add the cut-up dumplings.
Simmer on low for 30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through and the broth has thickened.
If the broth is not thick enough, create a slurry by mixing together 1 teaspoon of flour and a 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Then whisk into the broth and let simmer an additional 5 minutes.
For more Cracker Barrel recipes you can make at home, check out our collection: 30 Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Cracker Barrel Copycat Grilled Chicken Tenders
P.F. Chang's Orange Peeled Chicken Copycat
Applebee's Three Cheese Chicken Penne Copycat
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
Copycat Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
KFC Mashed Potato Bowl Replica
KFC Fried Chicken Copycat
Copycat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
Chili's Monterey Chicken Copycat
Copycat Chili's Chicken Crispers
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Rocky Road Cookies
- Bakery Chocolate and Berries Cookies
- Easy Nutella S’mores Bars
- Applebees' Wonton Tacos
- Berry Iced Tea
- Healthy Chicken Breast Recipe with Giant Couscous, Pesto Sauce and Radicchio
- Peach Salad
- BBQ Nutella Chocolate Brownies
- Gluten Free Cheesecake
- Lekue LunchBox To Go
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat