Easy Thanksgiving Recipes: 8 Restaurant Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
- see all comments
"I have been making fried cabbage for over 50 years. Actually my mother taught me the recipe over 60 years ago. I always use about 2 1/2 lb. of bacon when I make mine. I simply fry my bacon and then boil the cabbage. I don't use spices because the bacon is flavored by the bacon. I make this for church socials family meals (with only 5 family members when I make it we eat it for a week but no one complains.) That is all that it takes to make this hearty and filling dish"
Arlene's Homemade Vanilla Extract
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
Do you often use pure vanilla extract such as McCormick's when baking? Try Arlene's Homemade Vanilla Extract recipe and make your very own vanilla for all your baking needs. All you need is vodka and vanilla beans to make homemade vanilla extract. Let the vanilla beans infuse the alcohol until it develops a dark color and deep flavor. The longer this extract sits the better! This copycat recipe for homemade pure vanilla extract will save you some money and could be a great holiday gift. Just pour the infused extract into nice jars or bottles and see how impressed your friends and family will be when they open this homemade gift.
- If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our full collection of 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients!
- Here is an easy video tutorial for how to make vanilla extract:
Read NextCheesecake Factory Meatloaf Recipe
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Jun 25, 2016
Believe it or not I did not realize that vanilla extract was so simple to make and I bet it has a better taste when using in recipe because it is fresh. This is a super great video and the tutorial with mixing some other flavors with it is so great. I am going to experiment with different flavors too. This will be great for holiday cooking and for gifts. Anyone try mixing flavors? How did they taste?
Mar 06, 2014
I signed in and the recipe isn't there. What happened to it?
Nov 06, 2013
@Moyssis, I understand your concern. As much as I like Vanhulles 7626692 answer, for a person with an alcohol problem, this is not an answer. I understand that when an alcoholic know of ANY amount of alcohol is in the house, it can be detrimental to that person in falling off the wagon. The opportunity is too great for them to ignore. Please try and ask a pharmacist or someone in the alternative health industry for an answer. They may know of an alternative to alcohol for infusion of vanilla beans or anything else. Sorry I wasnt more help.
Nov 29, 2011
I am hoping you can give me an alternate method to make Vanilla extract. I have many friends that are involved in AA and they will not use any of the flavorings, because they all have alcohol in them. Is there anyway to make flavorings without using any alcohol? It would be good information for many people that are enjoying sobriety.
Feb 07, 2012
When extracts are used in cooking, the alcohol is evaporated leaving only the flavor behind. Alcohol does not stand up to heating and/or cooking.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Raspberry Swirl Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Starbucks Clone
The best thing about pound cake is that you can have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. No matter the time of the day, you can always… Continue reading: "Raspberry Swirl Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Starbucks Clone"
- Cheesecake Factory Meatloaf Recipe
- 10 Copycat Corner Bakery Recipes
- 9 Copycat Jamba Juice Recipes
- 18 Copycat Chili's Recipes that Taste Just Like the Originals
- 18 State Fair Food Recipes
- Korean Beef Sloppy Joes
- Grandma’s Old-Fashioned 1960s Sunshine Jello Salad
- 34 Food Court Favorite Recipes
- Restaurants' Secret Recipes Finally Revealed
- 17 Discontinued Fast Food Items (And Their Recipes)
My Recipe Box (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite recipes
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Copycat Crumbl Brownie Batter Cookie
- 3-Ingredient Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Copycat Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies
- Taco John's Apple Grande Copycat
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread
- Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Turkey Bacon, Cheddar And Egg White Sandwich
- Perfect New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat