Copycat Applebee's French Onion Soup Recipe
This simple copycat recipe tastes as close to the exact Applebee's French onion soup recipe as you can get!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Love that French onion soup you get at restaurants like Applebee's? Now you can make your very own French onion soup with this Copycat Applebee's French Onion Soup Recipe. Copycat restaurant recipes are perfect for weeknight dinners and more. Serve up a smile with this warm and comforting meal. It's the perfect starter to pair with an entree of chicken or steak, like Applebee's bourbon street steak, but it also works great a la carte.
To make French onion soup the way they do at Applebee's, you'll need the right balance of cheeses and soft, sautéd onions that add those extra layers of caramelized flavor and texture. You can create a restaurant-quality meal but still keep the comfort of home with this Copycat Applebee’s French Onion Soup recipe. Plus, because you make this recipe at home, you don't have to worry about the price tag that comes with eating out for dinner, and you have more control over what goes into your soup, like the amount of sodium and the number of calories.
Cooking Time1 hr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds mild onions, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 hamburger buns
- 10 thin slices of Provolone cheese
- 10 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
Just when you thought the three cheese chicken cavatappi from Applebee's couldn't get any better, we kicked it up a notch by adding a fourth cheese! You'll fall in love with this creamy, cheesy dish: Just Like Applebee's Chicken Cavatappi
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large heavy bottom soup pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions over medium low heat, stirring only a few times, until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes (see note). Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute until very fragrant. Raise the heat, add the beef stock, water, salt, and pepper and bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
While soup is cooking, slice the “crown” top off each of the hamburger buns, giving you 10 rounds of approximately the same size. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes.
Remove and change oven temperature to broil.
When the soup is cooked, taste and adjust seasonings as desired. (see note)
Ladle soup into individual soup bowls, top each with a crouton, then with a slice of Provolone and a sprinkle of Parmesan. Broil about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and beginning to become a golden brown. Sprinkle each with a bit more Parmesan and serve immediately.
- To increase the sweet onion flavor, you may extend the cooking time to 25 minutes or longer, but keep an eye on the pot so that the onions get a lovely gold caramel color and do not burn and get bitter. Stir only occasionally so that they brown evenly.
- If you wish your soup to have a deep rich beef-y flavor, using the best beef broth possible is the key. You can also add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and or soy sauce - you will not taste these ingredients but they will add a deep “meaty” flavor to the soup.
We've rounded up some of your favorite famous restaurant recipes and brand name cooking recipes into a handy collection: 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes Free eCookbook
What's your favorite thing to order at Applebee's?
Let us know in the comments!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Just-Like Bennigan's Monte Cristo Sandwich is a recipe perfect for breakfast for dinner. With sweet french toast serving as the… Continue reading: "Just-Like Bennigan's Monte Cristo Sandwich"
Soul Warming Restaurant-Style Seafood Chowder
Copycat Panera Bistro French Onion Soup
Panera Copycat Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup
Chili's Copycat Chicken Enchilada Soup
Amazing Copycat Wendy's Chili
Restaurant-Style Albondigas Soup
7-Can Soup Copycat Pioneer Woman Recipe
Copycat Applebee's French Onion Soup Recipe
Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat
Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- The Grommet
- Mascarpone Tiramisu Dessert
- Copycat Grand Lux Cafe Chicken and Waffles
- Ravioli Summer Pasta Salad
- Crunchy French Onion Chicken
- Yummy Spicy Coconut Chicken
- Maple Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Easy Crab Cake Recipe
- Restaurant Style Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Vegetable Pastry-Free Flan (Quiche)
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat