How to Make the Perfect Fried Chicken
Perfect your favorite crispy fried chicken recipe with these tips and tricks
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
The recipe was added to your Recipe Box.
Learning how to make the perfect fried chicken is an essential skill for any home cook! Southern chefs and comfort food lovers alike know how delicious fried chicken is.
But it can be difficult to get your homemade fried chicken to taste like the kind you get at a restaurant. So many restaurants have their own take on fried chicken that it can sometimes feel like it's just easier to buy it. But trust us. It's worth the little bit of extra effort to learn how to make fried chicken yourself.
Different fried chicken recipes can have very different tastes, but these tips can help you make the perfect fried chicken no matter what recipe you're using. Here's what you need to know:
Bring Chick-fil-A a little closer to home with our collection! These recipes are all the best and easy to make: 9 Best Chick-fil-A Copycat Recipes
1. You Don't Need a Deep Fryer
If you've never tried homemade fried chicken because you don't own a deep fryer and don't want to buy one—don't worry! If you have a deep pot or Dutch oven, or even a frying pan with sides that are at least 3 inches deep, you can fry chicken in it.
You only need about one inch of hot oil for optimum frying. There is also the option of "frying" in the oven—or "oven frying." But whether or not that is actually considered frying is a somewhat contentious topic among chefs.
2. How to Get the Perfect Crispy Chicken
Fried chicken should be at least 75% crunch. That texture is just what can turn plain fried chicken into a Southern masterpiece. But what's the secret?
It's the breading! Letting the chicken sit 15-20 minutes after you've coated it in flour will help the breading set and should result in an ideal crust. It will also ensure that the chicken is at room temperature when you fry it.
Another element of getting the perfect crispy fried chicken is in the dredging method. Watch this video below for how to make Cheesecake Factory's Pretzel Crusted Chicken and learn our preferred way of dredging chicken.
3. The Right Temperature is Key
While you're frying, you want the oil to be 350 degrees F. If the temp is too low, you won't get the perfect crispy crust and if it's too high, your breading will brown before the chicken if fully cooked.
4. Choose the Right Kind of Oil!
When it comes to frying chicken, choose an oil that doesn't have much flavor so that the spices in your crust can shine. We like to use peanut oil for our fried chicken, but canola or vegetable oil will work just as well.
5. Use Your Oven, Too!
I know what you're thinking—how can it be fried if it's in the oven? This tip might seem unconventional, but your oven can come in handy when it comes to frying chicken.
Keep your oven heated to 300 degrees F. Then pop the chicken pieces you've fried into the oven on a cooling rack to keep them warm while you fry the rest of the chicken.
The oven will also be a huge help if your oil gets too hot and you risk browning the crust too much before the chicken is fully cooked. If this happens, simply turn up the temp to 350 degrees F and cook the chicken for a few extra minutes.
6. Serve that Chicken ASAP!
Fried chicken is amazing, but it loses some of its magic if it sits for a while or is served as leftovers. That crispy crust that you worked so hard to make is at its best when it's served right away, when the chicken just cooled enough to eat.
From finger-licking chicken wings to cool and creamy coleslaw and dipping sauce, these restaurant copycat recipes replicate your favorite KFC menu items! Try our collection, and you won't be disappointed: 17 KFC Copycat Recipes for You
Do you have a secret trick for getting your fried chicken just right?
Let us know in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- How to Make Homemade French Fries
- 6 Reasons You Should Dine In
- How to Make the Perfect Fried Chicken
- How to Make Buttermilk
- Homemade Baking Mix
- How to Roast Garlic
- How to Make Pickled Green Tomatoes
- Sweetened Condensed Milk Tutorial
- Roasting Tomatoes at Home
- 5 Tips for Food Seasoning: Herbs and Their Uses
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas Recipe
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Cashew Chicken
- Healthy BBQ Shrimp and Grits
- Creamy Charleston Shrimp and Grits
- Tropikale Smoothie
- Amazing Copycat Wendy's Chili
- Tropical Wave Smoothie
- Strawberry Orange & Banana Frappe
- Copycat Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Copycat Panda Express Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- 10 Copycat Recipes from Restaurants & Brand Name Recipes eCookbook
- 16 Brand Name Recipes: Copycat Recipes for Items in Grocery Stores eCookbook
- 8 Best Italian Recipes and Homemade Olive Garden Favorites
- 9 Copycat Dessert Recipes: Easy Dessert Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Easy Baking Recipes for Homemade Ingredients - Free eCookbook!
- 9 Types of Copycat Girl Scout Cookies: Your Favorite Copycat Girl Scout Cookie Flavors
- How To Make Homemade Bread: 12 Quick Bread Recipes
- How to Make Salad Dressing and Copycat Sauces: 12 Homemade Salad Dressings & Sauces
- The Best Drink Recipes: 13 Easy Refreshing Summer Recipes for You
- Winter Soup Recipes: 8 Simple Soup Recipes for the Copycat